DIY Homemade Pre-Shave Oil: 2021 Skincare Routine For Sensitive Skin

Updated: Dec 6, 2021

Written by Crafts-Women Community

Three generation of men shaving together.
Photos courtesy: Getty Images

Pre-shave oil is an easy at-home DIY that both genders can take advantage of! A pre-shave oil, in case you’ve never heard of such a thing before, is an oil you apply prior to shaving that helps to protect the skin and help the blade to glide more smoothly across the skin. The result? A closer shave with less razor burn, less irritation, and a decreased occurrence of nicks and cuts.

A hand holding a small amount of facial oil.
Photos courtesy: Getty Images

A good pre-shave oil will not only accomplish these tasks but also hydrate and soften the skin at the same time. Not a beard oil or a shave oil, pre-shave oil is meant to be used in combination with shaving cream or gel, not instead of it. You simply apply the pre-shave oil before your shaving cream and then have at it! While there are lots of well-formulated pre-shave oils to choose from these days, they tend to be pretty expensive. This pre-shave oil is easy to make and can be used on facial hair, legs, or even the bikini area. Ready to try it out? Read on for a quick DIY pre-shave oil recipe.

Shaving legs in the shower.
Photos courtesy: Getty Images

Pre-shave oil isn't just for men! Using pre-shaving oil before shaving your legs, armpits, and bikini line will help your skin feel soft afterward, and help to avoid nicks and cuts. Make sure to choose all-natural, high-quality ingredients and do a spot skin test for all the ingredients you'll be using to make your pre-shave oil before making them.

A person putting oil onto her arm using oil dropper.
Photos courtesy: Getty Images

DIY Pre-Shave Oil


All you need to create your own pre-shave oil is a carrier oil (or multiple carrier oils if you want to get fancy!), essential oils for scent and extra skin-loving benefits, some vitamin E oil, and a small glass dropper bottle.


The carrier oil/s will make up 95% of your formulation and the other 5% will be essential oils of your choice.


A good recipe to start with is:


- ⅔ Castor Oil

- ⅓ Olive Oil or Coconut Oil

- a few drops of Vitamin E Oil

- No more than 5 drops of a single essential oil, 3-5 drops if using multiple oils. Sandalwood or lavender are both great choices for a facial pre-shave oil.


Once you have measured out your oils, fill them into the glass dropper bottle with a pipette and funnel if necessary. Be sure to write out your exact formulation, down to the drops of the essentials oils, for future reference. Screw on the dropper top and give the bottle a quick shake to mix all of your ingredients.

A man with beard applying facial oil on his face.
Photos courtesy: Getty Images

How to Use Pre-Shave Oil on Facial Hair


  1. Start with a freshly cleansed face.

  2. Dispense a few drops of oil onto your fingertips and rub your hands together.

  3. Gently rub the oil into the skin/ beard and let it sit for about 30 seconds or so before moving onto the next step.

  4. Apply shaving cream or gel as usual and shave.


A homemade pre-shave oil is an incredibly simple DIY that can make a big difference when it comes to shaving your face or legs. Not only will it help in getting a closer, smoother shave, you can also avoid extra irritation and razor burn while moisturizing the skin as well. Give this quick DIY a try and you’ll be left with smooth, hydrated skin!

Storing Your Pre-Shave Oil


Use a dark glass jar to reduce the UV rays that could permeate the container, and better preserve the oil inside. Also, store your pre-shave oil in a cool location out of direct sunlight.